Being an introvert in an extroverted world can be tough. And sales is usually an extroverted world.
For years, I thought my introversion was holding back my potential as a salesperson.
So I acted how I thought I needed to act: I tried to be social and gregarious and always on, just like the other salespeople I knew.
Embodying that persona wasn’t for me.
I didn’t get the results I wanted and I also developed a lot of anxiety; it was imposter syndrome in a painful and unsustainable way.
All of this caused me to view my introversion as a weakness that was preventing me from achieving my goals, as something I was ashamed of.
But there’s no need to be ashamed of your weaknesses.
Everyone has them — plenty of them — it’s just something we don’t generally talk about.
In fact, they aren’t really weaknesses at all.
They’re personality traits that come with a whole spectrum of associated behaviors which can be positive or negative, depending on the context.
(As an example, someone who struggles to prioritize — something generally considered a negative — has probably figured out how to be good at working through lots of tasks — something generally considered a positive.)
Once I was able to shift my mindset, I figured out a process for confronting the areas of my life I wanted to improve and then using them as fuel for my selling strategy.
Ultimately, that led me to unlock my sales superpower.
Here’s how I did it.
- I identified what I perceived as holding me back — my introversion
- I thought through the other traits associated with my introversion — I think a lot, deeply, and methodically
- I figured out how to use those associated traits as a fundamental part of my sales strategy — by thinking deeply and methodically, I could differentiate myself by providing strategic insights to my clients that other sellers missed
- I tested out my new strategy in the real world and evolved it over time — ultimately, I found my sweet spot selling to enterprises in strategic SaaS sales
(Pssst – want help executing this exercise yourself? My fill-in-the-blank template will help you turn a personality “weakness” into a sales superpower. Click here to add my contact info and text me the word “SUPERPOWER”).
I truly believe that if you are able to shift your mindset and change how you think about your weaknesses, you can unlock a whole new range of opportunities.
What’s a weakness that you think has been holding YOU back as a salesperson?
I would love to hear what you uncover after trying this exercise.
And how I can make it more beneficial for others!
When you’re ready, here are 3 ways I can help you:
- Get the exact system I’ve used to go from earning $200K to over $1M a year in SaaS sales without burning out here. (1,700+ students)
- Join a community of Purpose-Curious™ sellers in the Make More Hustle Less Club where we develop a personal operating system together here. (300+ members)
- Book a 1:1 coaching session to up-level your performance here. (Limited spots available)